Badoo is an online dating platform that was founded by Russian entrepreneur Andrey Andreev in November 2006. With offices in Moscow, London, the United States and Malta, it is available in 190 countries and is available in 47 languages.
Badoo is a free app where members get to enjoy key features without paying for a subscription. The membership base of the app has continuously grown over the years up to over 350 million people worldwide.
This is one factor contributing to Badoo being ranked as one of the top dating apps globally. The app is available on the website and also for download on Google Play or App Store for Android and iOS.
Creating a profile and sign up process
The sign-up process for Badoo is pretty simple. You can choose to register either via your Facebook account or by answering a number of questions which require you to fill out your basic information such as gender, age, first name, location, email or phone number and a password. You also need to select a reason for joining the site and the sexual orientation of people you are looking to meet.
The nest step requires you to upload your profile pictures. However, if you registered using your Facebook account, Badoo will import some of your most recent photos. You can change these pictures and upload some from your phone gallery or even take one from the in-app camera.
On the app, you have to set up geolocation as this makes it easier for Badoo to get you matches that are nearby. You are required to also complete the “About Me” section which gives more information about your personality, background, and interests. This is what other users will read so make it is catchy and interesting.
How does it work?
The site is very visually focused and your chances of meeting a match depend on how good your profile pictures look. The app is divided into sections that show: encounters, people nearby, chat and profile. Badoo displays pictures of the users for you to choose whether you “like” them or not.
You can search users on the “Search” tab or choose to browse through all the profiles in the “encounters” section which uses a swipe function. To view a person, just tap their image which will show you their short bio, location, verification details, and more photos if available.
Badoo has been designed to be a social network of its own. Some of the key profile features include:
- You can conveniently take photos and videos within the app using the in-app camera without having to necessarily upload some from your phone.
- When uploading the photos, you can create private photos, albums, and videos in addition to the ones that will be displayed in public.
- If you want to verify your profile, you can do so by uploading at least one photo and connecting to a social media network such as Facebook. Additionally, you can also verify through a phone number.
- You can also connect with users outside of the site using the social media networks that have been connected to their profiles.
- If you like someone, you can favorite them and chat with them later.
- Under your Badoo profile, you can monitor your credit balances, buy Superpowers or even change your privacy settings very easily.
- On the “Visitors” section on the app, you can see other users who visited your profile. This is an opportunity to send them a message if you like them. This is the best way to meet a friend or date.
- The profiles are poorly detailed and you cannot provide diverse info on topics such as religion or politics until you start chatting with another user.
Most of the key features on Badoo are free. You can register, create a new profile and browse without being required to upgrade.
Badoo has “Credits” which are important when you want to unlock some extra premium features. You can use them to place your profile at the top of the search results which earns you better matches and profile visits. 100 coins go for $1.99 and 500 for $7.99.
- You can also earn extra credit by inviting your friends to join the app.
Badoo Premium features include:
- You can switch to incognito mode and browse without any other user seeing you.
- Undo a “No” selection made in the Encounters section
- A paid subscription gives a spotlight to your messages to be read first.
- You get to see the users who have liked you, favorite you or selected “Yes” to your profile in the Encounters section.
- You have the priority in chatting with the most popular people on Badoo.
- You can pay for a subscription to Badoo Premium via PayPal or a credit card.
Credits: Badoo has developed an in-app currency referred to as Credits. This helps you to promote your profile and get more visibility. You can purchase either 100, 550, 1250 or 2750 credits at a time. In order to make sure you don’t run out of credits, you can choose Auto-Top Up which ensures that your credits will be automatically replenished immediately they go below 200 credits.
Credits can get you on “Get Featured” which ensures that your photo is seen by everyone in your area. Additionally, it can buy you more “Encounters” and limit daily contact which increases your daily chances of meeting a match.
For you to connect with other users, you have to go through profiles via the “encounters” or “people nearby” tab. From the encounters section, you can choose to either like or dislike profiles. “People Nearby” shows you users that are within your preferred location. The app has a swiping feature similar to Tinder.
You can communicate with other users by sending virtual gifts or sharing your profile on other social media networks such as Twitter or Instagram. If you are using the app, select the star icon to add the profile to your favorites and if you want to like the profile, click the heart icon.
All your incoming and sent messages will be stored in the Messages inbox until you choose to delete them.
This feature works when you have set your geolocation settings just like on Tinder and Bumble. On the mobile app, you can use this search function to find potential matches that are in your area. This can also be modified to filter your preferences on the specific location, age range, and gender that you would like your potential match to be.
Launched in 2017, this feature allows the site’s users to use facial recognition technology to search for potential matches who look like their favorite celebrities. This is a fun way for you to meet people who look like your celebrity crushes or even your highschool sweetheart. However, this feature does not use the location to determine the matches for you.
This feature is a game that users play to find matches easily. Similar to apps like Tinder where you get to swipe through photos and profiles of other users and choose who is Hot or Not. You can easily rate potential matches by clicking “like” or not.
Once you click on a profile, it will show you the user’s name, age, location, whom they are looking for and the last time they were online. From here, you can select “Yes”, “No” or “Maybe” depending on if you like their profile. You can also filter your search on whom you would like to meet on Encounters by selecting their age, gender or desired activity.
In order to prove to the other users that you are a real person, you can verify your profile either using the photo verification method or even via your social media pages.
To do this, go to the Verifications button and take a photo that mimics the poses provided by the site. Once you send this, your photo will be checked by Badoo staff who send back a message if you have been verified. At the sign in page, you can choose to verify via Facebook, Twitter, phone number, Google Plus or your Card.
This is a live streaming feature introduced by Badoo for users to broadcast their activities to other users. To start a live stream, you need to use the app directly from your mobile phone. You will be able to watch other people’s live videos via your desktop.
Rise Up puts your profile on top of all profile searches. You will, however, need to buy Badoo Credits in order to boost your profile. This attracts more users to your profile and increases your chances of meeting a potential match. You can activate this feature on your Popularity page.
Super Powers allow you as the user to highlight your profile and gain more attention from other users. Once you purchase this feature using Credits:
- You can activate Invisible Mode
- You can undo your last vote on a profile.
- On the “Encounters” game, Super Powers help you to unlock who voted “Yes” on your profile.
- Once you send a message or email to a user, you can see whether they opened and read the message.
- You can view other profiles secretly without them knowing.
- You get to enjoy the “Advanced Search” option which you can use to personalize your preferences.
- Super Powers give you a preview of the people who are new to Badoo allowing you to meet them first.
On the app, your Super Powers, are shown as on or off using a Superman symbol.
Based on the number of profile visits or people who have liked your page and matches, Badoo calculates your popularity. This shows on your profile and makes other users notice you faster especially if your rating is higher.
On your profile, the app has a battery icon which represents the percentage of popularity. If it is very low, easily boost it by using credits to get featured on “Rise Up” or to get more Encounters. This is one of the fun features of the app that makes it more interesting and encourages users to be more active to increase the rating.
You can increase your popularity by filling out more information on your profile, engaging more with the features on the app and uploading more photos.
How safe is the Badoo app?
Badoo has features such as email verification, cookies and other devices to ensure that users enjoy a browsing experience that is safe and secure. On the site, you will get guidelines on what to do when communicating with a new person such as not revealing too much personal information. You can also manage your privacy by controlling which users have access to your profile.
In case you feel threatened or are suspicious of another user, you can block and report them to the Badoo team. Make sure to state the exact reason so that they can follow up immediately. You can also fill out a feedback form to report the same. This helps the Badoo team in reducing the number of fake profiles on the site.
Design and Usability
The app has a very simple and colorful layout that makes it attractive to use. The company constantly upgrades the app which has more features and better functionality than the browser version. The app can be downloaded on your Android or iOS device.
The website is also well designed and easy to navigate. You can easily login and follow up on all your connections and messages on the main menu of the website. However, the mobile app is not up to par with other apps.
How do I delete or deactivate my Badoo account?
If you have found a match or want to take a break from Badoo, you can simply delete your account on the Profile section. Confirm that you want to permanently delete the account, indicate the reason and enter your password to complete the process. On the app, you can choose to hide your account and come back when you like or clear all your messages and data permanently.
- The app is available in over 190 countries and has been translated in different languages making it easily accessible to more people from around the globe. This increases the pool of users hence giving you more options.
- The Photo verification feature is very important to ensure that the members are real. You can only upload a photo that is yours.
- Most of the key features are available even for members who are using a free account. You can use the “search” button, create a full profile and even send messages without upgrading to a paid membership.
- Geolocation is one of the most important features as it gives you potential matches that are within your area. You have the option to filter and choose specific locations which makes it easier for you to meet your matches in person.
- The app has superior features that users can easily navigate.
- The site is slightly more expensive than other dating sites. The credits that you must purchase in order to highlight your profile are not cheap. In order for you to be seen by more people, you have to spend more money.
- The “Encounters” tab allows you to swipe through profiles mainly by checking the photos only. For you to get more information about a user, you will need to get credits to unlock this feature for you.
- Just like other apps like Tinder, Badoo is also very visually oriented and therefore, you must have a quality photo on your profile to get noticed. Making a judgment based on physical appearance alone is not always the best way for those who are seeking a long term or serious relationship.
- Badoo is not recommended for people looking for serious relationships. Since it works like Tinder, it is also reputed to be more for casual hookups.
- Due to a large number of users, there will be a higher probability of coming across fake profiles. As a user, be careful when chatting with someone new so as not to reveal financial or personal information that can make you a target.
To Sum It Up
Badoo has been in existence for more than a decade now but has managed to keep up in this increasingly crowded space and they have done a good job in general of upgrading many features.
Badoo is a great place to meet new and fun people in your area. Incorporating social media networks heavily in their design has provided a lot of people with an opportunity to not only date and seek out long term relationships, but also to make new friends and network. If you are interested in meeting new people, Badoo may be a great app to try.
Badoo Review; Where Social Media Meets Online Dating
Badoo is an online dating network that links seamlessly with your social media accounts and has a mobile app. With Badoo, you can buy “Credits” that increase the popularity of your profile and, in turn, increases your chance of getting a date.