BlackPeopleMeet.com is the largest black online dating site for black singles in the United States. Founded in 2002, the site is owned by People Media which is part of the Match group, a group that owns multiple major dating sites including Match.com, PlentyOfFish, OKCupid and others.
Over the years, they have built a very large community of African-American singles that are looking to date, fall in love and built relationships. The site is one of the unique niche dating sites that attracts people mostly in their 30s or 40s looking for a serious connection.
Creating a profile and sign up process
The registration process to BlackPeopleMeet is pretty simple. On the landing page, you select your gender and what you are looking for, the country, zip code, a username, and a password.
These steps are easy and quick and take a few minutes of your time.
Find Your Special Someone — Click to join the Meetopolis community to make local connections for love and friendship.
The site then prompts you to choose from a dozen pre-set personality types that will be shown on your bio. These options include Nature Lover, Adventurous, Family First, Active, Ambitious, Music Head, Creative and much more. From here, you can now upload a profile photo directly from your device.
You will then need to fill the other main sections of your profile that include, your bio and what you are looking for in a partner. There are other sections which are not necessarily mandatory but can be important in order for you to get to know potential matches and visa versa. These questions will tackle personality questions and your main interests and hobbies.
How does it work?
BlackPeopleMeet has a Daily Match list and they provide you with a set of 11 members who have similar interests as you. The site algorithm matches you with others with whom you have the most commonalities. If these matches are not satisfactory for you, you can also use the “Are You Interested” feature that lets you browse one profile after the other until you find a profile that you like.
BlackPeopleMeet has a search button for you to filter more users by region and age range. Additionally, you can search by username, see who has viewed you or who is online. The “More” option allows you to get more advanced search filters that look for factors such as ethnicity, religion or smoking and drinking habits.
The site has an in-app currency known as tokens that help you unlock more features and promote your profile to be more noticeable. Use this to get yourself at the top of the searches and as a result meet more matches.
You can edit or change all the details on your profile even after you have created an account.
- The search function lets you look for potential matches according to your preferences.
- All the users can see and search through your profile for free.
- On the homepage, there is a sidebar showing who is online.
- Your profile homepage shows your photo, age, location and how active you are on the site.
- Members can upload a maximum of 30 photos on their profile.
- You will see a “You May Also Like” section under your profile that shows you other similar profiles.
- You will see all the profile pictures of other members for free.
- The profiles on BlackPeopleMeet are usually very detailed.
With this you are limited to:
- Creating a new account
- Registering your new profile
- You can search through other users profiles
- Send “flirts’ to people you like
- You can upload audio or video messages on your profile for everyone to see.
- Unlimited sending and receiving of messages from your matches and other users.
- You can use the ConnectMe feature without revealing your personal phone number.
- Unlock premium features that promote your profile such as MatchMe andPromoteMe.
- You will also be able to hire the services of a ProfilePro to improve on your profile.
Once you subscribe, you have full access to all the features on the site.
The subscription options include $66 for six months, $39 for three months or $17 for one month.
The longer the period that you subscribe, the lower the cost is per month. This is usually paid in lump sum and renewed automatically. If you want to get off the subscription, you have to make sure you have stopped the renewal before that time expires.
You can make your payment via credit card, check or PayPal.
You can use the search function to meet potential matches by using their usernames, age or even location. The site provides a chat room that displays a list of the people that are online which is also one of the best places to meet new people.
There are many ways to contact other users on BlackPeopleMeet which include sending “flirts” or virtual gifts, messaging them and asking questions. You can also like photos and save favorite profiles that you like to chat with them later. In addition, you can chat with members by notifying them you are online.
One great feature is the profiles show how active a user is. This is good for you so as to know whether they respond fast and if they are worth communicating with. However, you will not be able to receive or respond to messages unless you are on a paid account.
Are You Interested?
Who Do You Like?
The service helps you to know beforehand how your match sounds. If you do not want to continue with the communication, you can easily delete the number. However, you have to be on a paid subscription to enjoy this service.
PromoteMe and MatchMe
Are there any safety concerns?
The biggest disadvantage of the site is that they do not have an identity verification system for new users. This means they do not do any screening which makes it easy for potential scammers to register fake profiles on the site. As a user, it is advisable to be cautious about how much personal information you share and be sure to never reveal any financial information.
However, the site offers the option to report any suspicious or fake profiles to the BlackPeopleMeet customer service team that you come across. This protects you and other members. They also have a safety policy that ensures that any of your information on the site is not leaked to the public.
Design and usability
The website’s design is simple and easy to navigate. The main menu and all the sections are well organized for members to get around without much hassle. However, there are several complaints about the site pages loading a bit slow.
BlackPeopleMeet now has an app that is available for download on Android or iOS devices. This is good as you can keep tabs with your matches on the go and communicate at your own convenience. The app’s interface is simple enough for anyone that is not as tech-savvy to understand. However, it does not receive very positive customer reviews due to a lot of technical issues.
How do I delete or deactivate my account?
When it’s time for you to leave the site and you want to delete all your profile information, you simply go to the account settings, select “My Account” and then “Account Status” and choose the option to delete your profile permanently. This will cause you lose all your messages, matches and if you plan to come back to the site, you will be forced to register afresh.
If you are on a premium subscription, make sure you first stop the automatic renewal before deleting your account to stop any further charges to your credit card. For users on the app, it is important to remember to delete the profile and stop the subscription before uninstalling the app from your mobile device.
Are there success stories?
The site has a section with testimonials from couples who have met on BlackPeopleMeet. These stories are very encouraging especially for a new user who is joining the site looking to start a serious relationship. The site is perfect for singles who are not looking for just a mere casual hookup.
- The niche focus of BlackPeopleMeet gives you a large community of African-Americans.
- The site helps with many icebreakers including flirts and virtual gifts.
- They have extensive search filters for you to look for other users according to your preferences.
- In spite of the niche focus, the site is open to all races. Therefore if you are not black but looking to meet African-American singles, this would still work for you.
- The registration process is so simple and takes the shortest time possible in comparison with sites that provide a complex personality test.
- You have to pay for a premium account in order to have any communication with a fellow user. A free account allows you to only to view others but you cannot send messages.
- In comparison to sites like Match.com, BlackPeopleMeet does not have as strong a matchmaking feature for its members.
- BlackPeopleMeet is only available for users in the United States and Canada. This means if you are in any other region, it may not work for you.
- During registration, there are sections that are not mandatory to fill out. Most users choose to leave some sections blank which means you may not always learn a lot about the person before reaching out and communicating.
To Sum It Up
BlackPeopleMeet remains one of the best and largest sites for African-American singles. As a niche site, it also provides a place for all races if you are looking to connect with a Black single.
The site is a simple, safe and fun atmosphere which makes it easy to quickly view and contact thousands of black singles in your area. Both the website and app have a simple user interface however they both need improvements to improve the technical efficiency.
The site is good if you are looking for all types of relationships, be it friendship or a potential life partner.
Black People Meet; Helping People of Color Find Lasting Relationships
Black People Meet is an online community designed primarily for African American singles looking to find lasting relationships. It is simple, fun, and easy to use. There are ‘icebreakers’ to help with first introductions and other resources along the way to help you meet and connect with other users on the site.