Christian Mingle is an online dating service specifically created for Christian singles. Launched in 2001 by Sparks Networks, it is one of the few dating apps that focus on the Christian faith. It caters to men and women who are looking for a long-term relationship or marriage partner who holds the same faith and belief in God.
In addition to the website, the company launched the ChristianMingle app in 2014. This has seen the site membership rise to approximately 16 million and is by far the most popular Christian dating site available today. The app is now available for download on both Google Play and App Store for both Android and iOS
Creating a profile and sign up process
To register for an account on Christian Mingle, you just need an email address or a Facebook account. You will receive an email verification notification to go ahead and confirm your account.Then you can upload some of your best quality photos which need to be verified by the team.
Next, you need to choose a username for your profile. The system then prompts you to answer a number of questions that focus on your job, church affiliation, if you plan to have kids and your marital status. The next tab gives you an opportunity to write a brief summary about yourself. The profile should be detailed as this is where the other users will get to know about you.
You then get to select fun hobbies and interests that you have. Make this section creative enough to generate interest from the other users. The next step, you filter your preferences based on characteristics such as education level, height or church attendance.
Once you finish all these steps, you can now start browsing the profiles and also have the option to always add more information to your profile. While you are allowed to browse for free, in order to send messages or view additional user photos you must upgrade your account.
Find Your Special Someone — Click to join the Meetopolis community to make local connections for love and friendship.
Following a discrimination lawsuit in 2016, the site started accommodating gay people allowing users to either choose if they are looking for same-sex or opposite sex matches when creating a new account on the site.
How does it work?
The site uses Color Code Personality Tests to find out which people are compatible with you. They also generate matches based on the profile preferences that you fill in when creating your account. These match parameters such as age, distance, height and gender narrow down your search and gives the site a better understanding of what you are looking for.
You can also search through the Christian Mingle photo gallery based on your preferred lifestyle choices or appearance for the Christian men and women that you would like to match with. Based on your data, the app also uses information such as your location to find you matches that are near you.
Both the website and app work in a similar way, so you can choose to use either in signing up and creating your new profile.
The profile displays your profile photo, age, location, hair and eye color, height and last login to the site.
- The “search” button is free for all the members on Christian Mingle to look for potential matches.
- The activity feed on your profile is essential in monitoring your activity and giving alerts when you receive any new messages. The interface is simple to use especially when managing your chat activity.
- The app allows the users to upload photos easily either from your phone or directly from your Facebook account. You can upload a maximum of 6 photos.
- For paid subscription, users can browse anonymously, hide your profile from searches or even hide your status. Additionally, you can see if your messages were read by the other person.
- ChristianMingle has the “Smile” feature on your profile which you can send to your crush to find out if there is mutual interest.
- The app has messaging features that you can use to receive and send messages instantly and on the go.
- On each profile, the site provides a calculated percentage that shows how compatible you are with someone.
With this account, you can:
- Post your own profile with up to 6 photos
- Make your profile stand out by purchasing the spotlight feature
- Get the emails from the ChristianMingle team about your matches.
The Basic account requires users to pay $30 dollars for a one-month subscription while for Premium they pay $50 dollars for the same period of time.
With the Basic option, you can only message other paid subscribers but with Premium, you are not limited and can message anyone on the site.
You can also get a badge which makes you stand out among all the other users so they can know that you can read and also respond to the messages they sent you. This increases your chances of been contacted. Therefore, a subscription enables you to get better ways to make a connection with someone.
This account also allows you to:
- Hide your online status from other users.
- Get read receipts and notifications when another user receives your message.
Go incognito and hide your profile from other users and anonymously browse other profiles on the site. This gives you enhanced private controls than when you are on a free account.
Payment for these accounts can be made via mobile phone, PayPal or a credit card.
Users receive daily suggestions depending on the set preferences. The search tab allows you to freely browse other members who are online but you can only send a message if you are on a paid account. If there is a mutual interest, you can now start chatting.
Once you find a member on the site that you like, you can send them a spark or smile to let them know.When you receive new messages, you will receive notifications either by email or phone notifications if you are using the app.
A subscription also lets you use Christian Mingle’s message boards and all matchmaking tools to increase your chances of getting a good match.
Communicating on this app is very easy since it is a niche site and almost all users have one thing in common or are looking for the same thing. This creates icebreakers to start the conversation. You can also select the “Question of the Week” and review other users profile from their answers to this question.
Privacy and security concerns
Users on Christian Mingle can hide their profile from some users or even block them if they do not feel safe about them. In case you feel threatened, you can also report the same issue to the site support. However, you cannot control who views your profile as that is a free feature for every user. When creating your profile, users use their username which is good for security purposes.
The site takes security very seriously and makes sure they flag down any fake profiles. They must approve all profiles with some like photo submissions taking 24-48 hours to be approved. The site also offers its users helpful safety tips when meeting a new person or disclosing information to make sure that you do not reveal too much especially financial records.
Are there any success stories?
Both the site and app have approximately 16 million users. This is one of the biggest sites for Christian singles. From this pool of users, there are quite a few more women then men on the site.
The app just like the website draws those looking for serious relationships unlike other apps like Tinder which are reputed to be more for hookups or casual relationships. Therefore, many individuals have met their lifetime partners and started relationships courtesy of this site. They are responsible for more Christian marriages than all other online dating sites combined.
How do I delete/deactivate my profile?
If you want to delete your account, you can either do that via the website or the app. This is a permanent solution and you will lose all your data including messages and matches. Go to the “Settings” tab and select “Permanently delete profile”. If you are on a paid subscription, make sure to cancel the renewal before deleting the account.
Design and Usability
The mobile app was launched by Sparks Networks in 2014. It is very easy to use as members can now access it from anywhere and on the go.
However, the company did not add any new and unique features to the app apart from what you find on the website. The layout is similar with only a swipe feature added to make it user-friendly. Members still have to pay for a subscription to send and receive messages so it’s not an upgrade per se.
On the other hand, the website’s design is very simple. It is not so ultra-modern especially compared to other dating sites but it is well organized and you can quickly see where to browse profiles, read messages, see matches, view other users recent activity or get help even if you’re not very tech-savvy.
This makes it suitable for everyone since the site also attracts individuals who are in their 40s. ChristianMingle members also enjoy an ad-free experience apart from the in-house ads to upgrade their membership in order to start sending or receiving messages.
- If you are looking for a serious relationship leading to marriage, Christian Mingle is your best option. Most of the users are between 25-40 years of age, and thus, they are looking to settle down soon. The questions at the sign-up stage focus on issues related to commitment, religious beliefs, and family rather than fun personality tests which is perfect.
- There is a very tight verification procedure which ensures that all the profiles created are legitimate. Christian Mingle has a team that screens all the profile submissions and biographies to ensure there are no fake profiles. Once they detect one, it is suspended immediately.
- This is the best site if you are looking for someone who shares the same values and faith in God as you. It has the largest member base of any Christian dating site.
- The site is very easy to use. Creating an account takes a very short time and the layout is not complicated even for individuals that are not that tech-savvy. The same goes for the mobile phone app.
- In order to send or respond to messages, you must have a paid account. This is limiting as many other apps you can just send a text or even photo using a free account. This is one of the biggest disadvantages of Christian Mingle.
- The dating pool is not as extensive for individuals that live in smaller towns or cities as compared to when using other apps like Tinder.
- The features of the app are not as outstanding hence it does not offer any unique experience as compared to using the website.
- Users on Christian Mingle have the option to not answer the questions provided when filling out a profile. Once you choose to skip some questions, you leave out important information that other users should see when they are viewing your profile. This can result in a mismatch with someone that you don’t completely align with.
- Just like all other apps, there is always a chance that you might meet users who have put up fake information. This can be frustrating, especially since Christian Mingle is more of a serious platform with people seeking out long-term relationships.
- The Christian Mingle parent company, Spark Networks does not have a good customer service department. They don’t have a direct phone line you can get through to in order to speak to someone. They provide an email address which makes it nearly impossible to connect with customer support. Users give their customer support the lowest ranking of all online dating sites.
To Sum It Up
If your clear intention is to meet a committed Christian woman or man, Christian Mingle is the best app to use. With a very strict vetting procedure, you are sure there is a high likelihood of meeting someone serious who is looking to settle down and start a family.
The simple and direct communication tools help to filter through the people who just want to have fun. With a high success rate among the Christian singles, it is the perfect place to find a date that holds the same values and beliefs.
On top of connecting with someone, you also get spiritual nourishment from the site.
They send daily words of encouragement and organize events where you can meet and share more. With more people meeting online, and limited amounts of time we all have, Christian Mingle is a great way to connect with other Christians in your area. It is the biggest of all sites skewed towards Christians.
Christian Mingle Review; Christians, Community & Companionship
Christian Mingle is an online dating site for like-minded members of the Christian faith to find community and relationships. It has a desktop presence or an easy-to-use app with thousands of successful marriages budding from community the platform creates.