EliteSingles is an online dating site that is designed exclusively for professional singles. The average age of members is between 30-45 years of age. The site targets those people seeking a serious relationship and marriage. Founded in 2008 in Berlin, Germany the site is managed by Spark Networks.
It launched its first online dating portal eDarling in Germany in May 2009. Currently, the site has a membership of more than 13 million people and brings together approximately 2000 couples monthly from across 20 countries.
The site is well known for its detailed registration process that generates matches based on a personality test. It is available on a desktop version as well as on Google Play and App Store for Android and iOS.
EliteSingles is available in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa.
Creating a profile and sign up process
Signing up to EliteSingles is a relatively lengthy process. You are required to fill out a very detailed personality test when creating your profile that takes about 30 minutes. On the landing page, you fill in basic details about your gender, what you are looking for, an email address and a password.
Add additional info
Next, you need to fill out more information about yourself and what you are looking for. Developed by expert psychologists, the test analyzes 29 unique personality traits. The site encourages honesty and transparency about yourself which helps the sites algorithms to find you those matches that you will be the most compatible with.
Since the test is very lengthy, you can choose to save and progress later. This section asks probing questions about your marital status, educational qualifications, professional, height, ethnicity and whether these things matter when looking for your potential match.
Additionally, you have to answer some questions that are a bit too personal and focus more on your looks, personality and what kind of characteristics you think your potential match should have. For instance, under appearance, you have to rate yourself based on whether you think you are trendy, sexy or overweight and the same for your partner that you prefer to meet. You will go through 10+ slides that tackle different topics.
The questions basically require you to rate yourself against statements that are applicable to your life. You have to select what works for you or not with the questions cutting across your personal life, your likes and dislikes and how you handle a variety of situations in relationships.
The final stretch…
Once you complete filling out the profile, which can take up to 30 minutes, you receive your personality test results that analyze your characteristics based on your answers. You will not be able to go back and edit the answers, which can be a drawback in some ways.
The site does however, provide additional questions that you will be able to answer and will then be displayed on your profile. You can improve your profile by uploading additional photos or answering a like or dislike section.
The final step is to upload profile pictures on your profile which can be directly from your device or you can draw them from your Facebook page.
How does it work?
EliteSingles matchmaking service provides and suggests 3-7 compatible matches daily based on your personality survey and factors like age, location, and occupation. The site does not have the browsing feature so you cannot search for users you like anytime thus you are required to wait for the pre-selected matches by the site.
However, after you go through the matches provided, the site does afford you the option to browse through a limited number of profiles, approximately 20 of them, who will not be 100% compatible with you. This gives you a wider pool of users to choose from. Immediately you match with someone, you can now go through their profiles and reach out to those you like.
- You can upload up to 24 profile photos on your profile.
- The profiles are detailed because of the long questionnaire and registration process, which gives ample information about your matches.
- Once you match, in terms of questions that you have both answered the same, these will be highlighted. This can serve as good conversation starters.
- You will not be able to see the profile pictures of your matches unless you are a paid user.
The free version of EliteSingles is not very user-friendly. You are limited to very few features and might not be able to communicate with other users. Additionally, the profile pictures of your match are usually blurred so you can’t see the person unless you upgrade. With this account, you can:
- See your daily matches that are curated by the site.
- You will see the messages sent by other users that you have matched with.
- Once you match with someone, you can send “Likes” and “Smiles” only.
- Receive your personality test results.
- You can upload photos on your profile.
The paid account is the only sure way for you to communicate with a match on EliteSingles. Some of the perks of being a paid member:
- You can send and reply to all messages from your matches without any restrictions.
- Your profile is prioritized and therefore, you get matches quickly which significantly increases your chances of meeting someone and starting a relationship.
- You can view all the profile photos of all your matches.
- Everytime you have a matching visit or view your profile, you will be notified.
- When you get your personality test results, they will be explained in more detail.
- If you like a profile or photo of another user, you can leave a comment.
- With the “Have You Met” feature, you get 20 more additional matches on a daily.
- You will receive Read message receipts.
This account subscription fee is $59.95 per month for the 3-month period and $44.95 for a six-month subscription.
It is always cheaper to subscribe for a longer time. This payment can be made by either credit card or PayPal. Membership will be automatically renewed at the end of the said period unless you unsubscribe before then.
Canceling your memberships is easy by just clicking on the “Account” tab. You will follow the steps to cancel the subscription which is effected immediately. The site will send a confirmation email and you can continue enjoying the benefits of the paid account until the period is expired.
A connection on this site is solely determined by the matchmaking service which analyzes the personality survey results. As a user, you are not able to personally reach out to a fellow user unless their system has matched you with them. If you are matched with someone that you do not like, you can delete this match to remove them from your “Match” list. This is permanent and cannot be reversed.
You have several ways to communicate with a match. This can be by sending a message or emoji which shows them that you are interested in them. If you plan on talking to them later, you always have the option to save them to your “Favorites”. You can also get acquainted with your match via the ‘5 Questions” which you send and receive via your email address. Only paid members are able to reply to messages and emails.
Have You Met?
This is an interesting feature as it basically provides you with a pool of users that are not necessarily within your preferred matches and fall beyond your filters. This will help you not to limit your search to the specific traits that you like but rather give more options. Some users have stated that it has been advantageous as they have met even more interesting matches thinking a bit outside the box. As long as you are a Premium user, EliteSingles sends you additional 20 matches for you to choose from. If you do not like someone, you discard their profile and move on to the next one.
The “Five Factor” Personality Test
EliteSingles matches are primarily made based in the Personality Test. The five factors are measured against Conscientiousness, Agreeableness, Openness, Extraversion, and Neuroticism. Your answers will provide a test result that will show your personality and provide a means for the site to match you up with someone who is compatible with you.
This personality profiling system identifies the most common traits about you and your match. The questions range from “How important is your future partner’s religion?”, “How important is your partner’s level of Education?”, or “Do you want children?”
On the website, there is an online EliteSingles shop for members to do some online shopping. Once you click on the “Buy Now” tab, you will be automatically redirected to the retailer where you can place your order. However, the EliteSingles is not responsible for any of the issues surrounding payments, shipping or even refunds.
In addition to the dating site and app, EliteSingles has a magazine that provides articles about dating and relationships. Divided into three sections: Online Dating, Relationship Advice and Local Dating, this section of the website boasts of articles that have insights from psychologists that can act as a guide for you as a single person going into dating. This is a good place to start if you need any new tips.
Each day, EliteSingles will recommend 3-7 matches that are compatible with you based on your personality test. This is shown in percentages that measure your commonality. Once you get the matches, you can now go ahead and filter these profiles based on factors like their location and age to make sure you meet someone with common interests and is in your area.
Are there any safety concerns?
The EliteSingles team manually verifies the profiles of new users to reduce the cases of fake accounts. They also have encryption systems put in place to make sure that the information you provide is kept private and is not shared in public. The site will store all your personal information and data until you delete your account.
This site makes your online dating seamless by removing members who are inactive or suspicious. If you come across a suspicious profile, you can report them to the EliteSingles team. As a user, this will definitely help with the browsing process on the site and ensure you meet serious individuals only with real profiles. They pride themselves in having an in-house fraud team that monitors all the suspicious activities.
Design and Usability
EliteSingles have an app that is available for download only on iOS and Android. The app has an easy design for users to navigate on the go. Due to its simple layout, you can respond to messages and see your matches without much hassle. The app is a convenient alternative compared to the desktop site as it has all the main features. You will be able to update your profile and communicate easily via the app.
The website is also well designed and easy to use. Due to the lengthy personality test, the site has a feature for you to save the details and continue at a later date. This keeps your information and you can pick up from where you left the next time. During the registration process, it is better to use the desktop version due to the lengthy process and you can sync with the app as you proceed. Overall, the site is ranked much better than the app.
How do I delete or deactivate my account?
If you want to cancel your membership or you want to discontinue your paid account, simply cancel this under the “Settings” tab. If you had purchased this using your Apple device, you will have to make the cancellation via iTunes.
To permanently delete your account, you can do so either via the app or website. This gets rid of all your messages and matches and you will have to start afresh just in case you come back to the site. If you are on a paid subscription, it is advisable to cancel the automatic renewal first to avoid unnecessary charges to your credit card.
- The site provides you with a personality test which will even help you understand yourself further as you get into dating.
- The detailed profiles are so important as you are able to learn much about your match just by looking at the profile.
- In comparison to sites such as Tinder and Bumble that focus more on the physical appearance, EliteSingles goes beyond that and tries to understand your personality and that of your match and matches you based on commonalities rather than simple looks.
- The site attracts mainly working professionals and college graduates who are looking for something serious and probably in their 30s or 40s. Since you have to pay to communicate, this increases your chances of meeting serious people only.
- Their privacy and verification features are top-notch guaranteeing an amazing experience.
- The site does not allow you to browse through the profiles but will rather provide you with matches. This means you will not be able to know the age or even personality of another user before you match with them.
- Approximately 90% of the users are over 30 years. This basically means that if you are in your early 20’s this might not be the site for you.
- There is always a chance that someone is lying on his or her profile. This means that their personality test is not accurate. In case you match with this kind of a person, you will be getting a raw deal.
- When filtering the results based on location, the site sets the lowest option to 30 miles which are not practical. This means that you cannot meet working professionals who are in your city or even town.
- On the personality test, the questions are very repetitive. This can be really frustrating for you as a user. As compared to other sites that basically need 5 minutes of your time, this site needs about 30 minutes to have a well-detailed profile.
To Sum It Up
EliteSingles dating site was designed for working professionals and college grads who are looking for something serious. It is not the typical hook-up app like Tinder since most of its members are 33-50 years old who are looking to meet an intelligent and mature person. It is relatively easy to use and you can navigate through both the site and app easily.
However, the registration process is so lengthy especially the personality test which can be discouraging for new members who would like to join the site. If you are a single and established professional who is looking to meet someone who is serious, then this is the perfect site for you.
EliteSingles is touted as “One of the best dating sites for educated singles”. If intelligence, professional drive, and education are important factors for you in your companion EliteSingles has a large and growing pool (165,000 new members each month) of eligible men and women. 82% of EliteSingles members hold at least a Bachelor’s degree.