Farmers Only is a niche online dating site that was specifically designed for rural dwellers to meet single people nearby. This is a premium site meaning members have to pay to communicate.
Founded in 2005 by Jerry Miller in Ohio, its target market is farmers, cowboys and cowgirls as well as ranchers who want to meet other like-minded people. Guided by the tagline “City folks just don’t get it!” the site claims to be responsible for a number of marriages between farmers.
Popular in the United States and parts of Canada, Farmers Only gained prominence via a series of funny commercial advertisements that went viral and today the site has expanded and boasts a membership of approximately 5 million users. Farmers Only is available on a website and also can be downloaded on Google Play and App Store for both Android and iOS.
Creating a profile and sign up process
Farmers only has a very simple and user-friendly sign up process. You can simply register via your Facebook account which is the quickest way to log in. You are then required to fill in your zip code, email address, sexual preference, and age.
The site will automatically generate a username and password for you to use when browsing the site which you can change at a later time if you so choose. Once you have registered, you can upload photos directly from your device or use the ones from your Facebook account.
The sites’ staff check every photo before it’s published and flags any inappropriate photos. Should you upload an inappropriate photo you will be banned from the site.
Next, you need to create a profile which provides a general overview of who you are, what your goals hobbies, values are, as well as a description of what you are looking for in a relationship. After this, you can now submit your profile for approval by the Farmers Only staff before it goes live.
How does it work?
Farmers Only does not have a formal match type algorithm. Based on the target audience, the site attracts individuals with the same values and ‘country style’ interests.
There are two ways to match.
You can meet a match by searching through the profiles under the “Discover” tab and later use the paid features such as FarmPhone to text your matches.
The other option is to check the section called “Who Is Online” in order to start a conversation with them. In this section, you can filter the results based on age, location or ethnicity of the person you are looking to meet.
The downside to this site is that you can only communicate with other users once you have upgraded to a premium paid subscription.
Farmers Only allows you to upload an unlimited number of photos if you are on a paid subscription. From the group of photos, you can select which should display first.
- You can also choose to hide your profile from the public for a while and browse anonymously.
- The profile section can be edited if you want to add or change some details. You can review and revise often to improve your profile.
- The site automatically creates a username for you when you register. You can always change this to a name that suits you.
- You have an option to see who has viewed your profile.Initial contact on Farmers Only involves sending flirts is absolutely free.
With a free account on Farmers Only, you are limited to very few features which include:
- Easily create a new profile
- You can send Flirts to other users.
- Browse through all the other user’s photos and search their profiles.
- Receive notifications when a member sends you a flirt.
- Check which users are online and available to chat.
Once you receive messages or emails from a paid account, you will not be able to respond to them unless you upgrade to premium.
This is the only way to communicate with users on this site. Some of the benefits of this option include:
- You can block other users easily.
- You will be able to send and receive unlimited messages and emails.
- Have an added advantage of “Last Seen” which shows you when the person you are looking at was last online.
- You can post an unlimited number of photos on your profile.
- Messages can be sent directly to your phone number using the FarmPhone feature for you to respond without login into your email.
In order to subscribe for a paid account, you will need to pay $21.95 on a month-to-month basis.
However, if you pay for three months in advance, you’ll save 10%, for a total cost of $39.95.
Furthermore, if you pre-pay six months in advance, you’ll save 55%, for a total of $65.95. The subscription renews automatically at the end of your paid period unless you choose to downgrade before the time expires.
You can make your payments via Credit Card, your mobile phone, check or PayPal. If you want to cancel your subscription, you can do so on your Account Settings tab where you select manage subscription and then cancel indefinitely.
This is an upgraded version for paid account members.
For an additional fee of $9.99 per month as a premium user, you can choose to move up to “Gold Status”.
This will unlock more features on your profile including:
- Your messages will be highlighted in Gold when you send to your recipients who are either on a free or a paid platform.
- This is a guarantee you will be able to communicate with all members of the site hence reach more members.
Members on Farmers Only meet other people on the “Discover” section or by checking “Who Is Online”. Once you “like” a profile and they like you back, you can now send a flirt to show you are interested before sending a message. You can also send a direct email from the “Discover” section to a potential match.
Once you have made a connection, communicating on this site requires you to have a premium subscription. For free account users, you can only communicate via Flirts but if you are on premium, you can send and receive emails directly.
All of the messages you have sent or received from another member will always show on the conversation tab unless you choose to delete the thread. If you don’t want to communicate with anyone anymore, you can easily block them and they will not be able to send you any messages or emails.
This is a store on the site that allows you to purchase merchandise that is specifically customized for their members and has some of the key taglines of the site such as “City folks just don’t get it!” The products range from mugs, totes, hoods, hats to t-shirts which are also branded with the Farmers Only logo. The prices are relatively affordable ranging from $15 to $38. This is a special and unique feature especially for the members who are on a paid account.
This feature is available only for premium subscribers. Once you purchase this, you enjoy the site’s texting service without using or giving out your personal phone number. All the messages you receive will then be sent to your mobile device as a normal text message.
Your phone number is kept private and you can respond back to the message as a text which is so convenient as you don’t have to send an email. The service costs $4.95 per month for unlimited text messages sent and received.
Under this section, the site presents you with photos of other users for you to select if you like or not. Choose “thumbs up” if you like them and “thumbs down” if you don’t like them. The profiles are usually in your target age range.
Once you like someone’s photo, they are able to see your username in the “Who Likes me” section and they will receive an instant notification. If they like you back, you will be notified as well and you now make a connection.
If you “dislike” someone by mistake, you can undo that by checking the “Who Likes Me” tab and review the profiles again. Under this feature, you can also adjust or change the location settings to show your people that are nearby or in your area.
Who is Online
This section shows the users currently logged on to the site. This is refreshed after every 15 minutes to allow you to connect with other users quickly and show more profiles.
However, if your profile has no photo or has been hidden, you will not show at the top of the search results. Once you send a message to someone, it will go directly to their inbox and they will get an alert to check.
Are there any safety concerns?
The site has a detailed guide for its users especially with regards to their safety. Just like on most dating sites, there are scammers who are targeting any gullible users. It is advisable not to share any personal or financial information to a stranger and be cautious when meeting them for the first time.
In case you bump into a suspicious or abusive person on the site, you can report them on the customer support page. This allows the Farmers Only staff to quickly check to see if the profile needs to be banned from the site to protect the other users.
The site has also established ways to detect scammers and block them from accessing other members’ profiles. If you report a user, they will also be flagged and blocked.
The site uses encryption to protect your personal information and also to ensure that no other user will access your profile apart from you. If you register using your Facebook account, they will not post any information on your page.
How do I delete or deactivate my profile?
Once you delete your account on Farmers Only, your profile and all your information will not be shown to the public. If you are on a subscription, you won’t be charged anymore as your account is not in use. This is a permanent solution and if you wish to come back, you have to register again.
If you are not keen to permanently delete your account, you can choose the option to hide your profile instead. This will ensure your profile is not visible to the public on the site. However, if you are on a subscription, your account will still be charged unless you manage your subscription to stop any payments.
Are there any success stories?
Farmers Only’s special focus on niche dating for farmers and other people involved in the agricultural field has made it possible for people in rural areas interested in farming and country life to connect. On the blog section of the site, there are a number of success stories of people who met on the site and are now on long-term relationships or even happily married.
This is also because the site has fewer jokers and members are sure of what they are looking for. Farmers Only prides itself as the top site that has contributed to marriages among rural dwellers and country folk.
Design and Usability
The look and feel of the Farmers Only website is simple and dated in many ways. Once you log in, the layout is very basic. For users on a free account, you enjoy very few advanced features compared to those on a premium account. This has contributed immensely to lower traffic and less new users.
The company launched an app that is available for download on both Google Play and App Store for Android and iOS. However, the app has constantly received very poor reviews from customers due to some cases of fake or dead accounts and the high cost of services. Additionally, the app keeps crashing and the users are unable to upload photos sometimes. On Google Play, the app is rated 3 out of 5 stars based on the high number of complaints on its functionality.
As much as the app is simple for even less tech-savvy members to use, the website gets more traffic compared to the app. This is because it has additional resources for the farmers such as the Farmers Only store and other online stores for farmers to purchase some farm tools and gadgets.
- Easy and quick registration process. Makes it very simple for people to join. You only need to answer four questions compared to other sites which have very long questionnaires that you are required to fill out before your account becomes active.
- The niche focus on farmers and ranchers in the rural areas is really important because very few other sites focus on this market segment. Most of the common apps like Tinder focus on urban folks.
- The text messaging service offers an extra feature for the members who would like to chat more after matching on the site. It’s more convenient than chatting on email and is also very safe and provides that extra layer of anonymity prior to giving out your real phone number.
- The profile section is very detailed for each user. You can easily get much information about an individual just by opening their profile.
- Farmers Only has advanced search filters when you are discovering new people. This allows you to specify your preferences increasing your chances of meeting a perfect match.
- The Farmers Only website is very outdated. Therefore, it is limiting to rural folks and it does not draw a lot of Millennials. Due to this, the traffic is so low.
- The site requires you to pay for a premium account to unlock key features. You cannot communicate on email without paying. If you are on a free account, you cannot read any messages sent by a premium user.
- The site does not conduct any background checks on new users, therefore, cannot verify if a user is not legit. Because of this, it is advisable that you be cautious as you communicate with members on the site.
- The site does not have any formal matching algorithm.
- The mobile app has very poor customer reviews. With a rating of 3 out of 5 on Google Play, most of the users are not satisfied with its functionality making it so unpopular.
To Sum It Up
Based on the success stories, Farmers Only has contributed to many successful relationships and marriages between farmers.
If you are looking for a website that will introduce you to a specific group of people who most likely have the same values as you and are into a country lifestyle, then Farmers Only is the site for you. However, be prepared to pay in order to access the sites key features and in order to simply communicate.
The site is not the hippest platform as far day layout, however, it has gained much traction in the rural areas of the country. If simple is what you are looking for, and you enjoy country living then this is the perfect site for you.
Farmers Only Review; the meeting place for country people
Farmers Only is a community of farmers, ranchers, and country folk looking for love. It gives people who live further away from traditional dating venues the chance to meet new people, whether you’re looking for a serious relationship or something more casual.