Tinder’s reputation sometimes comes under fire for being associated with people looking for general hook ups rather than serious relationships but there is room for all types of dating on Tinder.
In fact, due to Tinder’s ease of use, you’ll find a wide variety of people on there who are looking for every type of relationship. Of course, the chatting has to start somewhere and many Tinder users find themselves using a pick-up line to break the ice.
If you’re looking for a way to start chatting that is funny and appealing, read on to find out some great Tinder pick-up lines that will have your match laughing and wanting to know you better.
What is a pick-up line?
First things first, let’s be clear what we mean by a ‘pick-up line’. By definition, a pick-up line is a ‘conversation opener with the intent of engaging an unfamiliar person for romance or dating’.
Clearly, therefore, all sorts of people use pick-up lines, whether your intentions are romance, casual dating, or even marriage.
What makes a pick-up line funny?
This depends on your sense of humor! Some pick-up lines are genuinely funny, some might make your eyes roll! Ultimately though, whether or not a pick-up line is funny is down to whether or not the sender and the receiver find it funny.
It’s really hard to judge a person’s sense of humor from a Tinder bio and a few photos so you might have to try a few different ways to get their attention.
What do good Tinder pick-up lines look like?
“Good” means different things to different people and what works for one Tinder match, won’t necessarily work for another.
There are, however, things that all good pick-up lines have in common.
Find Your Special Someone — Click to join the Meetopolis community to make local connections for love and friendship.
Here are a few things to get you thinking:
- Your pick-up line has to be original
- It should be funny as well as interesting or exciting
- It needs to relate in some way to your match – this doesn’t have to be a pun on their name (although it can be) but could relate to your match’s photos or description.
What makes a pick-up line work?
There has actually been some research into the science behind pick-up lines! Generally speaking, if a pick-up line highlighted a positive male attribute, it was more effective.
This was particularly true for shyer, less confident women. Conversely, more outgoing women preferred funny and direct pick-up lines.
The great thing about Tinder is being able to use funny pick-up lines that you wouldn’t ordinarily use in a public place like in bar or club. Internet dating is really great fun in this way!
You get to use clever and interesting lines that wouldn’t have worked face to face. You also get to work on name puns. That’s something you can’t do in a bar without knowing the person’s name first!
There’s also something really non-threatening about using a funny Tinder pick-up line that tells a match you’re fun. And being fun is cool and attractive!
Funny pick-up line categories
Funny is a spectrum.
Pick-up lines can be laugh-out-loud funny, eye-roll funny or can induce a simple smile. For ease of suggestion, we’ve come up with some categories of pick-up line to get you thinking.
Play on words/names
Can you come up with a pick-up line that plays with your match’s name? This will garner interest because your match will know that you’ve had to think about your pick-up line instead of using a generic one that potentially, you’ve used hundreds of times before.
Here are a few examples of our favorite funny pick-up lines that include the first names of the match:
- We should definitely meet so I can Sarah-nade you.
- Hey Lauren, did you know your name is an anagram of unreal?
- Alexa! What’s the best way to ask a girl out?
- I’ve always considered myself a Kat person.
- Are you an MP? Because you’re in parLIAMent?
- I think your name is missing an ‘n’ because you’re Sophine!
- I left my heart in San Francesca.
- Looks like I’ve found the Hayley Grail of Tinder.
- (To Paul) Did you know your name was an anagram of pal? Ah, no, wait! I have to take U out first!
Also, using names that aren’t theirs:
- Is your name Grace? Because you’re amazing!
- Is your name Summer? Because you’re really hot!
Clever pick-up lines that intelligent matches will get
You might be on the lookout for a match with brains and if you are, there’s a sure-fire way to instantly know if you and your match on the same wavelength: a nerdy pick-up line!
We’re talking pick-up lines based on math and science.
Here are our favorites in this category:
- If you were a triangle, you’d be acute one!
- You must be a small amount of red phosphorus and I must be a tiny wooden stick because we’re a match!
- Are you a carbon sample? Because I want to date you.
- You’re sweeter than 3.14
- Do you have 11 protons? Because you’re Sodium fine.
- I’m attracted to you and according to Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation, you’re attracted to me too. I think we should talk about it.
- You must be the speed of light. Time stops when I look at you.
If you find these funny but your match needs them explaining, then perhaps you need to keep swiping!
Literary pick-up lines for book nerds
Literary pick-up lines are perfect for breaking the ice with a book lover! Even book-related pick-up lines can also use puns, flattery, and innuendo.
Play with the titles of books, authors’ names, and literary terms in order to make your book lover interested.
So, if your match likes reading, is studying literature, or likes writing, have a go at using these funny pick-up lines:
- Do you like Harry Potter? Because I Adumbledore you!
- Did you survive the Avada Kadavra curse? Because you’re drop dead gorgeous.
- Are you a library book? Because I can’t stop checking you out.
- If you were a book, I’d stay up all night reading.
- If you were a book, I’d need glasses, because you’d definitely be fine print.
- What do you say we get out of here and find A Room of One’s Own?
- Is your name Katniss, because you’re starting an uprising in MY district.
There are some really funny literary pick-up lines and memes here. My favorite is:
- Your name must be Jane, I’m getting Austen your eyes!
Eye-roll pick-up lines
These pick-up lines might make your eyes roll, which is why we think they’re really funny!
- Well here I am, what are your other two wishes?
(Ok, so this one is a bit arrogant, but some matches will love how bold you are!)
- You’re so beautiful you made me forget my pick-up line!
- I’m actually from 20 years in the future. Help me settle an argument, where did our first date take place?
Cute pick-up lines
When it comes to pick-up lines, using one that’s both funny and cute will score you points! Any pick-up lines that play on the somewhat traditional ‘roses are red, violets are blue’ line, are good, especially if you’re good at rhyming and see yourself as an amateur poet!
Cute pick-up lines are great for attracting matches that are wanting romance rather than hook ups. They’ll show off your romantic side and let your match know that you’re not just after one thing.
- Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m not that pretty but damn look at you.
- Roses are red, violets are blue, it would be a shame if I couldn’t date you!
- Roses are red violets are blue, I can’t rhyme but can I date you?
- I could never play hide and seek with you because someone like you is hard to find
- You know what’s beautiful? Read the first word.
- There’s only one thing I want to change about you. Your last name
Cheeky pick-up lines
Cheeky pick-up lines are so funny, even the racy ones! If your match has pictures that look like they like being cheeky, try out one of these:
- Soup, yogurt, ice cream, Jessica from Tinder – these are all things I’d like to spoon!
- We’ve got Tinder, we’re a match, now let’s start a fire!
Memes are still all the rage online and, just like pick-up lines, you’ll find one for every occasion. Instead of bombarding your match with memes, why not ask your match to send you a meme.
This way, they’ll be interested in you because you’ve shown interest in them. Also, you’ll get to see what their personality is like by the type of meme they find funny. Here are some ideas for pick-up lines asking for memes.
- Send me a meme that describes you
- Send me your favorite meme
- Send me a meme of our future date
Unique and funny pick-up lines
Using pictures worked for the Ancient Egyptians, so why not mix it up with emojis?
- Your 5 most recently used emojis will describe how our first date goes!
Other unique ideas include:
- What will I find out about you if I google you?
- Truth or date? I mean DARE!
confirm you’re not one of those people who…
- Claps when a plane lands?
- #overuses #hashtags?
- Gives yourself animal ears in selfies?
- Send me your favorite GIF
- What’s your favorite quote?
- Which celebrity do you most admire?
Direct pick-up lines
If you know what you want and aren’t afraid of rejection, a funny but direct pick-up line is for you. Some ideas include:
- So, how do you pronounce your number?
- Maybe you could help. I have forgotten my account password. When I click ‘password hint,’ it keeps telling me ‘Sarah’s phone number.’
- Hi, I was wondering, do you have a couple of minutes for me to hit on you?
Cheesy pick-up lines
Cheesy pick-up lines are probably the least popular to be on the receiving end of but, find the right person, and a cheesy pick-up line might just be the thing to use! Here are a few of our favorite cheesy pick-up lines:
- Apart from being good-looking, what do you do?
- Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got FINE written all over you.
- Hey, do you know what my shirt is made from? Boyfriend/girlfriend material!
- Hey there, my doctor says I’m lacking Vitamin U.
Top Cheesy Lines
You could also turn cheesy pick-up lines on their head by starting a conversation like this:
- Hi I’m doing a survey of which pickup line girls think is the worst:
- Do you come here often?
- Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
Simple pick-up lines
So technically speaking, simple pick-up lines like the ones below aren’t funny. Some of them aren’t even pick-up lines at all. Sometimes, though, the mere fact that you’re using a simple pick-up line is funny because it’s not expected.
If you think your match is expecting a funny Tinder pick-up line, then perhaps playing it cool and catching them off guard is the best way to go! So, instead of a typical funny pick-up line, how about a simple
- How are you?
- Tell me something about yourself.
Pay a compliment
According to a recent study, women prefer men who use metaphorical language when playing compliments in a romantic context. Again, whilst these don’t fall into the category of funny Tinder pick-up lines, you’re ultimately after a date and so these may help you.
When paying a compliment, it’s easy to say ‘you’re really beautiful’ but what works more than complimenting a match on their looks is complimenting something about their style or character.
Look Beyond Looks
This means a lot more to many people than looks. Some examples are:
- Your photos look like you have great energy
- I love your dress sense
Compliments using metaphorical language include:
- Your eyes are a gorgeous rainbow
Pick-up lines like these allow to compliment someone without objectifying them and also come across as more intelligent.
How to decide which style of funny Tinder pick-up line to use
Use photos as clues
If your match has a few pictures that border on flirtatious and sexy, some of the cheeky or more direct pick-up lines might work.
If there is a photo of them reading a book on a beach go for a literary pick-up line. Finally, if there is a photo of them doing something ‘intelligent’-looking, go for an intelligent and witty pick-up line.
Use their bio as a clue
Some people have bios revealing information about themselves and what they like, don’t like and what sort of person they are.
Other people have witty bios or weird bios to grab your attention. Make a judgment from their bio and tailor your pick-up line to suit!
What to do if a pick-up line doesn’t work?
There’s a chance a pick-up line won’t work of course but even if your match doesn’t dig your line, there are ways of trying to salvage the match.
After all, the point of a pick-up line is to create an introduction and a small spark. As all sparks do, this will fade and what remains in its place is conversation.
If you can’t converse well, then a different pick-up line wouldn’t have worked any better.
Even if a pick-up line has worked in the past, there’s no guarantee it will work for every match. Also, there are lots of people using popular pick-up lines out there, so your match might have heard yours before.
Think about what type of match you want to start a conversation with and go with that. Get to know each other on a real level, simply use a pick-up line to get the conversation started and don’t worry too much about the rest.
Whatever the reason you’re using Tinder, whatever the style of pick-up line you go for, remember one thing: pick-up lines are adverts! The best adverts are ones that are memorable.
Whether that’s because it’s unusual, unexpected, cheeky, or funny. Make your advert stand out from the crowd and, if you can make your match laugh in the process, you’re halfway there to securing a date!
Don’t forget, Tinder is an internet dating site that is based uniquely on first impressions. Its success is down to the fact that first impressions really do count! Good luck!