JDate is an online dating service specifically designed for Jewish singles. Run by Spark Networks Inc., the site was founded in 1997 by Alon Carmel and Joe Shapira. As a niche dating site it has grown to attract millions of users from the Jewish community especially in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
In 2014, the company launched the JDate app. The company is based in Los Angeles, California with additional staff in Lehi, Utah and Hertzelia Pituach, Israel. Individuals do not have to be Jewish to join JDate.
The site can be great for individuals who are not Jewish but are looking for a Jewish partner. The site receives approximately 180,000 visitors per month.You can use the desktop version or choose to download the app from Google Play or App Store.
Creating an account and sign up process
Registration on JDate is free and very simple. You will need to fill out basic questions such as name, email and zip code. You will also need to upload a profile picture which will be approved by the site’s administrators first within 24-48 hours. You can upload more than one photo which makes your profile more attractive.
What if you’re not Jewish?
Since not all users are Jewish, you can select the different options,”Willing to Convert,” “Not Sure if Willing to Convert,” and “Not Willing to Convert. Since the site is a religious dating website, you will be asked questions on your religious background, beliefs, and values especially with regards to Judaism.
Find Your Special Someone — Click to join the Meetopolis community to make local connections for love and friendship.
On the “About Me” section, you will need to write a brief essay about your personal characteristics. In addition, you can fill out the optional questions provided by the site that asks about your lifestyle, family, hobbies, and interests. While not mandatory, it is advisable to answers these questions as they help you show off your personality and earn better matches.
How does it work?
The site matches you with users based on your set preferences such as location, age, distance and relationship type. They provide lists that show new users or profiles that have a higher percentage match with you. Since JDate uses geolocation, it also shows you users that are nearby and online at the moment.
How much info should you add?
During sign-up, the more open you are in sharing your personal details, the higher your chances of finding a suitable match. The Matches section on the website will recommend matches to you based on your preferences and your searches. If you would like to view one profile at a time, you can use the Lookbook and from here you can “Like” or “Pass” a profile.
The site is free to join however, you need to be on a paid subscription to be able to send messages to anyone else. A premium account will unlock even more features to help you with your online experience.
The profiles on JDate are quite detailed which means you can get to know quite a bit about someone easily from checking out their profile as opposed to some newer apps where there is very minimal (if any) intel about users.
- You can search other users profile and photos for free.
- There is an option to filter your search results according to your preferences.
- Photos of other users are visible for free once approved by the site’s administrators.
- If you need to change or edit some of your profile information, you can change it at any time after the approval process.
- The site allows you to upload up to 6 profile pictures.
- The profiles are color-coded based on the personality test results to show you what your personality type is.
- You can now send and receive emails.
- Enjoy unlimited messaging between you and other members in spite of their membership status.
- Receive notifications when another user has read your messages.
- Your profile will get highlighted making you more visible increasing your chances of meeting other members.
- More privacy options as you can hide your profile and browse anonymously.
- 1 month $59.99/Month
- 3 Month $44.99/Month
- 6 Month $29.99/Month
You can make your payments either via your phone, credit card or PayPal.
The membership will be automatically renewed at the end of the period unless you go ahead and change the settings from auto-renewal.
You can search for other users on the site for free, however, you will need a paid membership to connect. The site will provide you with matches based on your set preferences for you to choose whether you want to connect with them or pass. The religious angel is very positive as it is clear that all users have a common goal and most have the same background making it easy for you to connect.
Once there is a mutual match, you can send “flirts” or messages if you have upgraded your account. Messages and chats are well organized on the app so you can keep track of the messages you have sent and people you are chatting with. Once you have made a good connection, you can take the conversation offline.
The questions are not mantatory, however, it is good to answer them as each time you do so, they will be added to your profile and each time members visit your profile, they can see your responses. This is a perfect conversation starter especially if you and a fellow user have similar responses and these are great ways to determine commonalities between you and other users.
JDate has some of the best writers contributing to the JLife section therefore once you create an account, get some gems from this section. In spite of the niche focus, the articles cover general topics about relationships that are applicable to everyone.
Color-coded Personality Test
Are there any success stories?
Based on a survey that was commissioned by JDate in 2011, the site is responsible for 52% of successful Jewish marriages that began online. The site also draws a higher number of women compared to that of men. This can be attributed to the safety and authenticity of the site which has led to more women seeking to meet other single Jewish people and get into serious relationships.
On the website, there is a section with success stories drawn from a number of couples that met on JDate and are now happily married. The couples vary in ages from the young ones to those in their older years. This is encouraging even for new users who are seeking to meet a date and hopefully get married in the future.
Are there any safety concerns?
This site prides itself as one of the safest apps with little or no cases of fake profiles. During sign-up, the profiles are well vetted by the JDate team to ensure that only real people join the site. In case, you are facing harassment on the site or happen to come across a suspicious member, you should report to the customer support team which takes action againstsuch complaints instantly. This feature to report is easily accessible on the profile to keep you andother members safe.
The site also provides online safety dating tips for members to go through especially when chatting or meeting someone for the first time. It is advisable not to reveal too much personal or financial information to keep yourself safe. You can also choose to browse using your username which protects your privacy rather than showing your real name. In addition, the site has encrypted all your personal and financial information to keep it safe.
How do I delete or deactivate my account?
In case you want to delete your profile on JDate, you simply select the Account Settings option and click on “Permanently Delete Profile” button. Please keep in mind that once your profile is removed, you will have no access to any of your messages, matches or any other information. The site will also not be able to have your profile reinstated as this is a permanent option hence if you need to come back you will need to create a new profile.
If you were on a premium subscription, make sure to turn off automatic renewal before deleting your profile. This will stop any further charges to your credit card. Additionally, if you want to uninstall the app, you need to do the same as uninstalling does not automatically delete your profile from the site.
Design and Usability
Both the website and app have a very user friendly, modern interface. The functionality is very easy to navigate. Though the app was introduced well after the desktop version, nearly all of the members have downloaded the app and use it as well. You can download the app for your Android and iOSdevice.
- The site has some of the strictest verification guidelines for new members which means you won’t have to worry much about fake profiles and scammers that are common on other dating sites.
- JDate has a diverse and large group of users, especially from the Jewish community. This is perfect for you to meet a date or even friends if this is your preferred site.
- The app is has gained lots of traction and is the most popular Jewish dating app and is responsible for more than half of Jewish marriages that started online. This is encouraging for new users joining the site.
- Both the website and app are easy to use. The interface is simple to navigate even for members who are not as tech-savvy.
- JDate Events provide a perfect place for you and your match to meet on a date. In addition, it can be a place to meet new people whom you have not matched with yet online and form new friendships.
- You cannot communicate with fellow users unless you are on a paid subscription. Therefore, you have to upgrade as soon as you join the site to make any meaningful connections.
- The premium costs are a bit pricey compared to the other dating prices.
- Not all users on the site are Jewish therefore, it may not work as well for people who are looking to exclusively meet Jewish members.
- Users living in smaller towns might find a challenge in meeting people since the dating pool will be much smaller. Therefore it is advisable to sign up for the free account first and see if you meet people in your location before upgrading to premium.
- In spite of the strict verification systems, there is always a chance that some fake profiles might slip through. This is common in all dating sites hence it is advisable to be very cautious.
To Sum It Up
For over two decades, JDate has been the go-to site for members of the Jewish community in the online dating space. The niche dating network hosts cultural and religious events for the Jewish community as well as people interested in dating a Jewish person.
If you are looking for a short-term or long-term relationship, JDate can help you get noticed by other people and make some valuable connections within the Jewish community. It is suitable for casual dating and serious relationships.
Apart from dating, the site also has a mission to make the Jewish community larger in numbers and maintain strong traditions by bringing people of the same faith together. Based on the high success rate of this site over the past 20 years, you are in the right place if you are looking to meet a single lady or guy who is Jewish either for friendship or dating.
Finding Love Within the Jewish Community
JDate is a mostly a community of online believers of the Jewish faith, but it doesn’t end with that. Whether you’re Jewish yourself, looking to convert, or just looking for someone of a different faith to broaden your horizon,the JDate community is full of people waiting to connect.