OurTime is an online niche dating site targeting of people that are 50 years and above. Launched by People Media in 2011, the site is now owned by InterActive Corp (IAC) which also owns sites like Match.com and OkCupid. It is reputed as one of the best online dating sites for older consumers.
This site seeks to celebrate this chapter of life for people and bring singles over the age of 50 together to find a relationships both causal and serious. Some may be looking for a friendship and someone to travel with, while others may seek to find a serious commitment and marriage.
Creating a profile and sign up process
Registration on OurTime is absolutely free. On the landing page, you will need to select your sexual orientation and what you are looking for in a potential match. Next, you need to select the country you are in, create a username and password, fill in your date of birth and an email address.
The site then prompts you to upload a profile picture and then you create your bio. You can easily upload up to 30 profile photos on your profile. At this point, you also choose a headline that best describes you as a person.
You may describe yourself as “creative”, “adventurous” or “outgoing”. From here, you can now browse through the daily potential matches selected for you by the sites algorithms and send a message or flirt with someone you like. The site usually generates matches by studying your preferences.
Once you finish registering, you can choose to upgrade your account to a paid subscription or use a free account. You can choose to log in via the website or the app.
How does it work?
OurTime works more like Match.com where it provides daily hand-picked matches for you. The profiles are also very detailed which means you can get a lot of pertinent information just by reading through profiles.
It’s a great way to really get to know someone likes and dislikes before speaking or meeting up. A discerning person can really learn a bit about their matches by carefully reading through the profiles and viewing the pictures they choose to post. Every day you will receive 10 matches that are based on your behavior on the site.
What about the desktop version?
The desktop version is divided into sections, Inbox, Connections, Who I like, and Search. When browsing, your potential matches will display a profile picture, username, and their location. This allows you to get most of the information just by clicking on the user profile.
Once you receive the 10 daily matches, you go through and select the ones you like. You can also use the search function to filter through profiles that you like. Additionally, you can play the “I’m interested” game which shows you profiles one after the other for you to like or pass which is a similar feature in apps like Tinder.
Getting to know your inbox…
The Inbox section on the site is the main communication center and holds all the messages and virtual gifts that you have received. The connections tab has people who are interested in you or have viewed your profile or liked your photo. The “Who I Like” section lists all the people you have viewed, the photos you have liked and flirts sent.
Similar to other dating apps, the “Search” button works on a “Hot or Not” style where you get to swipe through profiles one after the other. The advantage of this is that you can filter your search results based on age, location, physical attributes, ethnicity, Zodiac sign or religion. This makes your search easier and this will allow you to meet more people according to your specific preferences.
- Profiles are very detailed hence you get more information about a potential match before you even start chatting. The maximum words allowed per profile surpasses 1,000 characters which gives you room to provide a large amount of good detailed information about yourself.
- You can add interests on your profile that will generate similar interest from other users.
- Based on your matches, there is a chat window which displays who is online and available to chat.
- The site has a very detailed level of search filter options. For instance, you can just search who is online and can also search specifically for new members.
- The algorithm provides 10 daily matches for you to choose from before you can start searching.
- Your profile images will be visible to all members regardless of your membership status.
- You can edit your profile after you have created your account. In case you need to add on to your information or change anything, it is simple and easy to navigate.
- The profile fields where you need to fill out your information are optional and hence you can leave them out if you feel like you don’t need to provide those details.
- Sending “Flirts” to members they are interested in but cannot just contact them through emails.
- Searching for new matches.
With this feature, you get enhanced search and match options as well as the ability to directly email others on the site. You can also see other users who are interested in you easily.
A paid account is the only way to unlock unique features of the site including: ConnectMe, NotifyMe, MatchMe, PromoteMe, ProfilePro and Profile Highlight. This is a form of “all-access” where you will be able to see what other members are doing on OurTime without any constraints.
There are two forms of subscription: The Standard Subscription and Value Subscription. For the Value option, you get to enjoy benefits such as:
- The messages and profile will be marked by a colored background which makes your profile stand out among other users.
- You will also receive notifications when another user has read your messages.
The price of a subscription for a one-month membership is $30, which is in line with most other paid sites. This is renewed automatically unless you disable the same on the “Settings” tab. Therefore you should monitor the payments closely to manage your cash. You can pay via Credit card, your mobile phone or PayPal.
The in-app currency for OurTime is known as Tokens. You can use this to purchase a paid subscription or to get some services on the site such as increased visibility and virtual gifts. Unlike other sites such as Zoosk, you can use coins for self-promotion purposes as well as to hire the services of the Profile Pro writer.
Just like the premium membership which renews automatically at the end of the month, if your token balance reaches 20 or below, the purchase is renewed automatically.
In order to avoid this, change your settings manually to ensure that you are not overcharged. Some users find it frustrating that OurTime will automatically ding your credit card for an additional month, unless you deliberately cancel in settings.
After you have received the daily 10 matches, you can show interest by either selecting yes or no against the profile. If you like them, you can go ahead and send a flirt, message or email. Additionally, you can save that profile among your favorites and connect with them via the private text message feature on the site known as ConnectMe.
Communication on OurTime always starts with “Flirts”. Once you meet someone you like, you can then proceed and start sending messages. Instead of just sending messages and emails, you can choose to send virtual gifts to your match, which is a fun way to begin to show your interest.
Are there any success stories?
The user base on OurTime is composed of mature people who already know what they want. They often times are retired or in a stage in life where they have ample time to invest into the right individual.
As a result, there have been a number of people who have met on the site and ended up in long term relationships and marriages. OurTime has a number of personal stories of people who have met their soul mates on the site which bodes well for you if your interest is in a quality match and a long term relationship.
How do I delete or deactivate my account?
If you want to cancel your free account or remove your profile from the site, you can simply do this under the “Settings” tab. Select “Remove Profile Link”, respond to the short questions provided and confirm that you want to delete the account. You can also turn off the automatic renewal if you want to downgrade your account to a free account.
If you choose to hide your profile temporarily, you can do so by editing the settings. Once your profile is hidden, you won’t be visible to anyone else or have access to features on the site.
Design and Usability
Once you log in to the home page of OurTime, it is very easy to navigate with clearly labeled areas to explore. You are able to view all the profiles, send messages or flirts as a paid member.
The app’s design is also simple and has the same features as the desktop version. The icons and the main menu is well laid out and can be used by even the less tech-savvy individuals especially since the target market is individuals who are 50+ years.
Are there any safety concerns?
The biggest disadvantage of this site is that they do not verify any information provided by users. This is a big risk and has contributed to a high number of fake profiles and scammers on the site. The scamming cases can be rampant especially since most of the users are over 50 years hence making them an easy target. The only recourse you will have is if you have a user who is interfering with you or you are suspicious of, you can block them from accessing your profile under the “Settings” tab.
OurTime has developed a safety policy on its website for users to read and take caution while interacting with strangers. Additionally, during registration, they ask for your email but they will not put it out to the public which protects your identity and profile.
- This site is unique as it caters to a specific niche of people who are 50+ years. There are not a lot of niche sites catering to this market segment.
- When creating a new profile, the questions don’t get too personal and it is easy to do.
- The success rate is high especially since most users on this platform are mature and they know what they want and are not out for games or to waste your time.
- Once you make a decision to upgrade, the cost is not very high. Therefore, you can unlock more features at a very affordable price.
- You are allowed to browse profiles without a paid account.
- OurTime does not have an identity verification system for its members which makes it very easy for you to interact with fake profiles.
- In order to access most features, you will need to pay for an upgrade.
- Due to the niche focus of OurTime, there are a lot of scammers who are out to get money via fake pretense from the users who are gullible. Therefore, you should be very careful especially with your financial information.
- Subscription renewal is automatic unless you change it manually.
- Your profile will remain invisible unless you upload a profile picture.
To Sum It Up
For men and women who are aged 50 years and above, this is one of the best dating sites for you. OurTime provides a desktop site and an app that are both very user-friendly and are a safe space for you to meet potential dates, friends or even lifelong partners.
Since most of the users are seniors, OurTime provides a layout that is simple to navigate. It is paramount to keep yourself safe and not reveal too much information about yourself to strangers which might make you an easy target. If you are looking for an online site that attracts mature audiences but is still relatable, OurTime is the site for you.
OurTime; The Place for older singles to find matches
Our Time is a website and dating app that is designed for dating in the golden age. For singles who are 50 and over, OurTime prides themselves on a simple layout, safe introductions, and searches and “flirts” for free. To chat with users, you’ll need to purchase a paid subscription and keep in mind that profiles are not verified. Take a few precautions in what you reveal, and it is possible that you could find “the one” to spend your best years with.