With Valentine’s Day coming around each February, if you are single you may be looking for someone to spend your day with. You may even be looking to make a lasting connection.
Choosing the right romantic pick-up lines may be what you need to make that initial contact. It can be quite difficult to approach someone and start up a conversation.
Trying some interesting romantic pick-up lines may be an option to break the ice and get chatting.
While some pick-up lines are cheesy, some are sweet and others are based on pop culture or current songs.
What you use depends a lot on the person you are wanting to chat up. The setting and your own personality also matters of course. Many enjoy using more of the romantic pick-up lines which are really common because they convey the right meaning.
Romantic pick-up lines don’t even have to sound like an actual line to be effective. In fact, it’s better if they don’t come across as a ‘line.’
Why Your Pick-Up Line Matters
First impressions are generally lasting, so you will want to grab the other person’s attention and leave a good impression right away. The perfect romantic pick-up line is usually a good choice for breaking the ice.
If you use crude and rude pick-up lines, you may break the ice with some people but it will more likely come across as disrespectful. This may lose you any chance of chatting with someone special.
A romantic pick-up line will generally bring a smile and allow you to continue chatting. Choose three or four favorites to use in different circumstances and use them well.
Practice in the mirror if need be to get them just right.
Let’s look at a few different types of romantic pick-up lines.
Pop culture romantic pick-up lines
The following romantic pick-up lines are focused around current movies, TV series and other popular culture. Here are a few examples, but you can choose from any of your favorite shows.
- I couldn’t help but notice, you look a lot like my next girlfriend. – Hitch
- You give me premature ventricular contractions. You make my heart skip a beat. – No Strings Attached
- I want all of you. Forever. Every day. – The Notebook
- You had me at hello. – Jerry Maguire
- You’re the mini-cherry on top of the regular cherry on top of the sundae of awesomeness that is my life. – How I met your Mother
- Some people are worth melting for – Frozen
- You’re the Obi-Wan for me – Star Wars
- You can be Little Red Riding Hood and I’ll be The Big Bad Wolf. – Twilight
- Is this seat taken, or do you mind if I Slytherin? – Harry Potter
- What are the odds of you being in my favor? – Hunger Games
- I’ve fallen harder for you than Bran Stark. – Game of Thrones
These are just a few ideas and they are related to movies that most people have at least heard of even if they are not big fans of the series, movies or TV shows.
Using these at the right moment, can be quite impressive and may score you bonus points right at the start.
Cheesy romantic pick-up lines
People still use traditional cheesy romantic pick-up lines that have been around a long time. These are generally well-known and may illicit a groan. You will generally get a smile though and a chat may perhaps get started from that.
- Can I follow you home? Cause my parents always told me to follow my dreams.
- Is your name WiFi? Because I think I can feel a connection here.
- Can I take a picture of you so I can show Santa Clause what I want for Christmas?
- Did the sun come up or did you just smile at me?
- Can you give me directions to your heart?
- I had to come over and see if your personality is as amazing as your smile.
Again, these are just some examples of the many cheesy, romantic pick-up lines that have been around for decades.
A cheesy pick-up line is generally complimentary and designed to attract a smile or even a laugh. If you elicit a smile from someone it is a great way to get the ice cracked and to start up a conversation.
Cheesy romantic pick-up lines are not designed to be rude or overly sexual at all but are often corny.
Sweet romantic pick-up lines
The following romantic pick-up lines are sweet (if not a little corny) in general. In some instances these lines may also be in the cheesy section. These romantic pick-up lines are always complimentary and can make the person you are saying them to feel good. It is also good if it makes them want to talk to you after you have delivered the line. Here are a few examples:
- Is there an airport nearby, or is that just my heart taking off?
- Are you a camera? Every time I look at you, I smile.
- If I were to ask you out on a date, would your answer be the same as the answer to this question?
- Can I take your picture to prove to my friends that angels do exist?
- Would you take my hand so I can tell my friends I was touched by an angel?
- When I first saw you, I looked for a signature. Every masterpiece has one.
- You want to know what’s beautiful? Read the first word again.
Valentine’s romantic pick-up lines
Certain times of the year generate a lot more romantic pick-up lines than others. Valentine’s Day is famous as being the time for lover’s and to let your crush know that you care.
Here are some ideas of Valentine’s romantic pick-up lines that may work to help you start the conversation with a potential partner.
- You made me forget my pick-up line with your beauty.
- If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.
- Kissing is a language of love, so how about a conversation?
- Hello, Cupid called, he says to tell you that he needs my heart back.
- Are you Google, because everything I’m searching for is you?
- Can you fix my mobile? It’s missing your contact details.
- Do I know you? Because you look a lot like my next boyfriend/girlfriend.
- My feet are getting cold… because you’ve knocked my socks off.
- What are you doing for the rest of your life? I’d like to spend it with you.
- So what are you doing on Valentine’s Day besides hanging out with me?
- Could I use your phone? I need to call my mom to tell her I’ve found my soulmate.
- Here I am! What else did you wish for?
Romantic pick-up lines from songs
You do not need to restrict romantic pick-up lines to one-liners commonly used when chatting someone up. In the right situation, you can use some of song lyrics as romantic pick-up lines to get that special someone to notice you.
In most genres of music there will be some lyrics that are perfect to sing or say to someone to elicit a great response.
We have chronicled only a few of the popular songs today with perfect pick-up lines attached, but listen to your own music and find the perfect lines yourself if you prefer.
- Saw you there and I thought, ‘Oh my God, look at that face,’ You look like my next mistake!” Taylor Swift – Blank Space
- You’re so contagious, I can’t take it, have my baby, let’s just make it. Excuse me. What’s your name? Jay Z – Excuse me Miss
- Give your all to me. I’ll give my all to you. You’re my end and my beginning. Even when I lose, I’m winning. John Legend – All of me
- I know we only met, but let’s pretend it’s love One Direction – Live while we’re young
- I would have walked through fire to kiss your lips The Chainsmokers – Hope
- Tonight will be the night that I will fall for you over again. Don’t make me change my mind. I won’t live to see another day. I swear it’s true. Because a girl like you is impossible to find. Secondhand Serenade – Fall for You
- Anything you say can and will be held against you, so only say my name. Fall Out Boy – Just One Yesterday
Studies on Romantic Pickup Lines
Romantic pick-up lines and chat-up lines in general have been studied fairly extensively. One of the studies done in 1986 focused on pick-up lines delivered by men to women and women to men to see what sort of pick-up line generated the most positive reactions.
Chris Kleinke’s study featured 163 women and 137 men, with 90% of the people being under the age of 27. The reactions to the lines as well as the manner that the lines were delivered were taken in to account during the study.
Most women preferred a direct or innocuous approach as opposed to a flippant style of delivery. Study participants ranked direct lines that were too sexual badly as well.
The lines that scored best among women included: simple greetings, offers to dance or assist with tasks or to make conversation while waiting for a mundane task to be completed.
Men also generally preferred a direct approach. Lines that ranked highest included simple greetings, requests for assistance including asking for directions and invitations to join the woman at a table or in a social setting.
Lines that received very poor ratings during the study included negative or inquiring comments on appearance.
Gender stereotyping lines, comments on lifestyle choices or self-aggrandizing comments calling attention to the person delivering the line also fared poorly.
People conceived specific lines as reflecting desperation or over familiarity or focused on esoteric subjects such as star signs or previous lives and these did not fare well at all in the study.
The Science of Romantic Pick Up Lines
How receptive the other person was to starting a conversation and expending mental energy was an important factor as well. You may feel stressed, fatigued or irritated which may influence how receptive you are to even a well- meaning pick-up line.
The Power of Stress
When you have been under mental stress or your mind is just been working overtime it can change how your cognitive functions.
You can’t regulate your actions, thoughts and emotions in the normal way. When you are tired and stressed, you are less likely to be open to interpersonal relationships. Your self-control is more limited too.
Stressed and fatigued people in relationships are actually more likely to look for other partners and cheat on their current partner. This works the opposite way around for singles.
The Power of Exhaustion
According to the study, people who are mentally exhausted are more likely to ignore a pick-up line or to ask the person to leave them alone if the pick-up line seemed flippant.
They are more likely to be open to conversation if the romantic pick-up line was innocuous. Women were even less receptive to flippant pick-up lines than men. Men were most receptive to the direct approach pick-up lines.
Women responded best to the more innocuous lines, followed by the direct approach. The flippant pick-up lines were perceived as making the intentions of the person delivering the line more obvious to the exhausted minds.
Consider the Mood
The more cheesy romantic pick-up lines are not likely to work on stressed, tired people. People listen longer to innocuous lines as it takes mental energy to figure out what the person wants.
The extra thought needed may be all the time required in order to break the ice. Due to romantic pick-up lines usually being delivered in a social situation, to avoid awkwardness while trying to figure out what the person is wanting, the person approached will generally allow the conversation to continue for longer.
Alcohol generally also taxes the brains cognitive abilities. If you want to figure out someone’s intentions, especially after a long day at work, it’s better to limit your drinking.
For the person delivering the pick-up lines, avoid the more corny or sexually explicit pick-up lines. Work on ones that fit the situation and are more witty and interesting.
Another study confirmed that humor is a preference among most person looking for a potential partner. Approaching someone with a romantic pick-up line that is clever and funny is much more likely to open a conversation. Try avoid boring lines delivered with minimal charm.
Let’s look at a few more romantic pick-up lines that you may want to deliver to that special someone. You may even want to impress a potential special someone in the month of love (or any other time).
More romantic pick-up lines
- If I had a rose for every time I thought of you, I would be walking through a garden forever.
- I’m not an organ donor, but I would offer you my heart.
- What’s that in your eye? Oh, it’s just a sparkle.
- Your smile lit up the room so I had to come over.
- Hi, my friend thinks you’re kinda cute, but I don’t. I think you’re absolutely gorgeous.
- Your so sweet, you’re giving me cavities.
- There is no pick-up line that would do such a beautiful person justice
- You are the reason the sun shines!
- I was gonna say something really sweet but then I saw you and I was speechless.
- Hi, I’m writing an essay on the finer things in life, and was wondering if I could interview you?
- You know, they may ask you to leave. You’re making every other person look really bad in comparison.
- If beauty were time, you’d be an eternity.
Out of all the research done and the millions of romantic pick-up lines there are, the one that stands head and shoulders above the rest. Amazingly, this pick-up line is actually quite simple.
The best romantic pick-up line or non-romantic pick-up line is simply: Hello, how are you? This is a great way to start a conversation. It does not make anyone feel awkward generally.
It allows the other person to then show interest in you in a reciprocal way or be dismissive without being overly harsh about it. Most people are receptive to this simple pick-up line and the conversation can proceed from that point.
This pick-up line is simply a great way to start a conversation. If you’re wanting to get to know someone further there is nothing that can beat a genuine interest in them and their life.
Ask questions and be genuinely interested in their responses and you’ll be winning. As long as the questions aren’t too personal, you may find that this approach is the best way towards securing a date.