SilverSingles is one of the earliest dating sites for people over the age of 50. Originally known as PrimeSingles.net, the company launched in 2002 and then became Single Seniors Meet in 2009 and by 2011 they changed the name to SilverSingles.
It is now owned by renowned dating group Spark Networks, which owns some of the top dating sites. The reputable site gives mature singles dating opportunities in a safe and secure environment. SilverSingles has grown exponentially over the years, and is now popular in the United States, UK, Canada, Australia, France, and Germany.
The app’s tagline is “A fresh take on 50+ dating” and offers just that. You can access the site either via your desktop or download it from Google Play or the App Store for your Android or iOS device.
Creating a profile and sign up process
Registering a new account on SilverSingles requires you to fill in some basic details. Unlike a lot of other sites, SivlerSingles does not give you the option to use your Facebook account. You will select your gender and that of the partner you are looking for. Then you need to fill in an email address and password.
This will take you to a new tab where you will take a personality test. This test is based on the “Five Factor Model” theory of personality traits that takes about 20-30 minutes to complete.
Under this section, you will be required to answer questions that are rated based on if they are not important or very important to you. Some of the questions include “How important is your partner’s age?”, “Marital Status”, “Level of Education”, “Do you want to have kids” and many more.
Once you are done filling out the questionnaire, you can now upload a photo on your profile page and wait to receive the daily matches. You are also able to upload multiple photos to make your profile more appealing.
Next, you need to create a short bio that should be original, interesting and stands out amongst the profiles. Make it brief, cleaver, creative and concise. You want to capture key traits about yourself that other users will find intriguing.
How does it work?
SilverSingles is predicated on algorithms created by taking the personality tests. Based on your score, the matching algorithm will match you to the most suitable partners. Therefore, it is important, to be honest when taking the test so that you can get the very best and honest results. As a user, you can view your personality test results, which are displayed under the “Personality” tab and described in detail.
This site does not have a search function that allows you to search for your own matches. You will be provided with 5 daily matches that show the matching score of the other user based on your shared hobbies and interest.
In order to meet more matches outside this daily batch, you can use the “Have you Met” feature that shows you more users and displays one profile at a time to either like or pass.
SilverSingles is a paid site. In order for you to communicate with other members, you must pay for a subscription. This will give you an unlimited access to photos, profiles and unlock more features that you may not receive on a Basic account. This is not always a bad thing, because paid membership sites typically will filter out the less serious suitors.
- Each profile has a calculated matching score displayed in order for you to see the compatibility you have with others.
- You get 5 daily matches each day that are matched to your personality, based on the test..
- You will not be able to see other people’s profile pictures unless you are on a paid account.
- You can edit your profile in case you need to make any changes or additions.
- The site provides a substantial amount of space for you to fill out a detailed profile. This is good for the other users to get to know more about you.
- There is no search function that is common on other dating sites—you simply wait for the site to feed you matches.
- You can upload more than one photo on your profile to make you stand out.
Since the site does not have the option to search for new profiles, you can only connect after receiving the daily matches that are based on your personality test results. From the matches, you can now filter users that you would like to connect with and take the next step by communicating.
The niche focus on the site ensures that you will connect with people that are in the same age as you.
Once you connect with a fellow user, you can send “Smiles” or messages to their profile or use the Matches list. If they like you back, you can go ahead and start chatting and eventually take the conversation offline.
The app allows you to comment on the photos of the other users if you like them but only if you are on a paid account. However, if they have not uploaded one, you can also send a request to them to send or upload one.
Free vs. Premium Account
On a free account, all you will be able to do on SilverSingles is create an account and take the personality test. You will also receive the daily matches but you won’t be able to see their profile pictures or even send a message. Not a lot of spiffs if you are not paying for a subscription. Therefore, it is paramount that you upgrade to a premium account to have a full and enjoyable experience on the site.
A premium account allows you to enjoy the following features:
- You can now view other users’ photos.
- With this upgrade, you get to see who has viewed your profile even before you message them.
- You will now be able to receive read receipts for your messages. This feature is great to find out if that person you are interested in has read your message.
- You have the ability to comment on photos and profiles of other users.
- In addition to the five daily matches, you can receive extra daily matches under the “Have you Met?” feature. This broadens your pool of potential matches.
- Enjoy unlimited communication with other users.
- You can also create a more detailed online profile compared to when you are on the basic membership.
Five Factor Personality Test
Developed by psychologists, the Five Factor personality test is the basis of the matches made on SilverSingles. The test results are used by SilverSingles to understand your personality and that of other users so you can be matched accurately.
The questions cover a wide spectrum of issues from religion, education, profession, and family. By rating how important each item is to you, the algorithm will pair you up with other users who have commonalities with you.
This feature is responsible for the success rate of relationships that have sprouted from this site. The more information you give and the more honest your answers are, the better chance you will have to meet someone that is complementary to you.
In comparison to many sites that put the emphasis on the physical appearance, this test provides a deeper connection between two users. This works in the same way as on popular dating site EliteSingles and eHarmony, but the differentiator is that this site is strictly for the senior market.
1. Have You Met?
This feature will highlight other profiles that are not within your preferred matches. You will be invited to send a message or a smile to show that you are interested.
The profiles may not match 100% to your preference but are ranked high enough for the site to match you. This is very useful because it expands your reach and you might meet someone that you really like.
The SilverSingles team will send you more matches above the daily five for you to choose from once you have unlocked this feature. It is a simple “Yes” or “No” game and if you do not like a particular profile you discard it and move on to the next one.
This keeps the browsing exciting and fun and gives you more options and some level of control over who you will match with.
2. Discover SilverSingles
This is a section on the app where the SilverSingles team upload a number of articles that focus on dating and relationships for people over 50 years. Topics range from “Tips for Dating after Divorce” to “How to Start Dating again” and much more.
These resources are specifically tailored to the age demographic that is on the site making it a good place to start especially if you are a new user trying to get back into the dating world. Once you sign in, be sure to check this section out.
3. Daily Matches
Unlike other dating apps like Tinder that need to you to engage in endless swiping until you meet a match, SilverSingles makes the work easier for you by providing 3-7 matches daily. These will be recommended based on the percentage score on your personality test that clearly shows how compatible you are.
From your matches, you can now to choose to eliminate according to your preferences, for instance, location and age if these are not suitable to you. In addition, you are guaranteed that the profiles are real people as the site claims to have a very strict vetting procedure for new users.
Are there any safety concerns on the site?
Since this is a senior market, the site is a target for scammers looking to get to know users and exploit them for financial reasons. In order to help curb this, the SilverSingles team has put in place safety measures and will always manually verify all the new profiles to weed out any fake or suspicious accounts.
They have a top-notch encryption system that detects frauds hence safeguarding the privacy of the members. The team is doing everything they can do in order to help curb scams.
SilverSingles makes your online dating experience better by quickly removing suspicious members. The SilverSingles team encourage to report any profiles that you think are fake or suspicious.
Design and Usability
The app allows you to create a profile, send messages to matches and take a personality test. The features are not differentiated much from the website which means you can opt for either platform. With the app, you may find it a bit difficult taking the personality test via your phone.
However, when browsing and using it on a daily, the app is very convenient for those on the go. You can download it either on your Android or iOS device from Google Play or the App Store.
Are there any success stories?
Most of the users on SilverSingles are in their 50s and 60s+ which means some are either divorced, widowed or have never married and the majority know what they are looking for which is a more serious relationship.
SilverSingles has a commitment to creating successful love stories with their unique matching system. SilverSingles remains one of the most popular sites for senior dating as a result of the great algorithm. If you are in your 50s and looking for love, this is the best place to start.
How do I delete or deactivate my account?
If you need to leave SilverSingles, you can do so under the Settings tab and then select my Membership. You will then select delete my profile, which automatically deletes your account. You can also email the Customer Service to deactivate the account for you as they are very responsive.
If you were on a paid subscription, make sure that you have changed your payment settings and stopped the billing before deleting the account. This prevents you from been charged again on your credit card.
For users on the app, you can also delete your profile directly. However, point to note is that uninstalling the app will not automatically delete the app or stop the billing. You have to do this manually first.
- Christian Mingle
- The detailed personality tests provide a good amount of information about other users on their habits and lifestyles before you make any contact. This significantly helps in the vetting process and can be a time saver. It also can serve to help with conversations when you engage with others.
- The app focuses on values and character traits over simply the physical appearance as other apps do.
- Since all the users on SilverSingles are over 50 years of age, most of the people know what they are looking for and most are interested in a serious companion.
- The app is very easy to navigate and can be used by members who are not as tech-savvy.
- The fact that each member has to invest some money to just send a message shows they were interested enough to make that investment.
- Only members that have a paid subscription are able to send messages or even view other profiles.
- The questionnaire at the sign-up stage is quite lengthy and takes some time and thought compared to many other sites that have a very quick sign up process.
- There is always a chance that there are fake profiles. Scammers will specifically target sites geared toward an older market hoping to prey on the elderly. It is important to not reveal too much personal information and absolutely no financial information to strangers.
- When signing up for SilverSingles, you cannot use your Facebook account but you have to input all the basic personal details.
- You are not able to search for users on your own, you will have to rely on the matches that are provided to you on a daily basis by the site. This can feel limiting as you are not in control and you might be matched with people that you feel are not meeting your criteria.
To Sum It Up
Over the years, SilverSingles has remained constant in its commitment to assisting senior singles in their 50s, 60s and on up to make authentic and lasting connections.
They offer a modern look and feel to the website and the app. It has a clean, simple design which helps make it a pleasant experience. This is not a casual hook-up site and SilverSingles focuses on providing an environment for healthy relationships.
The personality test at the sign-up process can be lengthy but in the long run can be very beneficial in matching you with very qualified suitors who have some real commonalities.
If you are divorced or seeking to start a new and potentially long lasting relationship in your ‘silver years’ SilverSingles may be a great option for you.
Online Dating for Singles 50's and Up
SilverSingles.com is an online dating platform design for people in the golden age, whether looking for love or just simply friendship. It has a simple user experiencxe and detailed personality tests that ensure you are well matched with available singles in your area.